_______________________________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________________________________________________

March 21, 2013

C&D Consultancy remains closed today

The office remains closed today as my Dad would have been 87 today and Mom and I are taking a few hours to do nothing but remember the good times we shared with him. The funeral yesterday was well attended and we certainly gave him a "good send off."

Readings were done during the service by my cousin Sue Huggins and by my wife Jill who read the following piece:-

Hello Everyone,

I am going to read a poem to you that John has written especially for his dad. The poem is inspired by W. H. Auden ‘s ‘Funeral Blues’ which some of you may recall was featured in the film ‘Four Weddings and a Funeral’.
This is John’s version.

For You Dad….

Stop all the machines, and lock the office door,
The man who inspired me, is with us no more,
Silence the hammers, and the generator hum,
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let helicopters circle the site overhead,
Writing out the message, ‘My Dad Is Dead’,
Weeds will grow quickly in the garden that he loved,
So tell the gardeners to wear their black safety gloves.

All the seeds that he watered, plant out every one,
They will soon blossom, as he was the sun;
Pour away the fertiliser and sweep up the leaves,
And plant up the hanging baskets, before anyone grieves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
Everyone has a Father but mine was the best,
He was my inspiration - my mentor - my friend.
I thought that Dad would last for ever, but now it’s the end.

No comments: