_______________________________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________________________________________________

November 11, 2016

A chat with Matt Birch about the Demolition Degree


Last week we brought you the news that the UK’s first ever demolition degree had been announced.

C&D’s very own Matt Birch, trainee demolition engineer, was one of the first people to sign up for the course, which will be officially launched at the University of Wolverhampton in September 2017.

Here we speak to Matt about his journey with C&D so far and to find out what he hopes to achieve from the course.

What made you want to pursue demolition as a career?

It all happened when John Woodward (C&D founder) came to Smestow School in 2014 to do a talk as part of an initiative called ‘Inspiring the Future’. He spoke really passionately about the demolition industry and its use of ground-breaking technology, which I found very interesting.

Feeling inspired, I contacted John a couple of days later to ask if I could do a week’s work experience with C&D. He agreed and following that I returned for a further four week placement in 2015. Then earlier this year, I joined C&D full-time as a trainee demolition engineer.

Why did you want to sign up for the degree?

When I first heard about the degree, it was a very easy decision to put my name forward.

I enjoy learning and I have developed a real thirst for knowledge during my brief time working in the demolition sector and this gives me the ideal opportunity to develop my skills and knowledge even further, not to mention the chance to secure a national qualification in the process.

What impact do you think these developments will have on the sector as a whole?

There is a lack of understanding about the complexity of the industry as a whole, there is a lot more to it than just knocking down buildings and clearing the rubble. No two projects are the same.

Now is an incredibly exciting time to break into the demolition industry. Hopefully the course will go some way towards eliminating the common misconceptions surrounding the sector as well as presenting demolition as a viable alternative to other engineering career choices such as mechanics or architecture.

Will you continue to work at C&D during your studies?

Yes. The degree is going to have a big emphasis on working in industry, so the hands-on experience will only benefit my studies.

No comments: